I was in my late 20’s the first time I went to Spain. I remember crossing the border from France onto Spanish soil and the flood of emotion I felt. It was as if I was coming home. But, I had never been there before… It was a surreal experience and I knew right then that I would be back.
I fell in love with Spain. The food, the history, the culture… all of it. I had been studying Spain and Latin America since I was 14 years old. I had a degree in Iberian & Latin American studies (don’t ask me what to do with it), but I had never set foot in Spain. (I did the study abroad program in Guadalajara, México) It was over a decade in the making to be able to finally experience everything I had read in books.
Of course, the first thing I wanted to do was eat. No surprise there… The food was everywhere! Hams hanging in windows, cheese shops, sandwich shops (where I would get my favorite tortilla española on crusty bread) gambas al ajillo or garlic shrimp on every menu and let’s not forget thick, decadent cups of hot chocolate served with churros for dunking.
This shrimp dish is super easy to make and quick. It’s garlicky and delicious, with just a little bit of heat. There are so many tapas to choose from, it’s nearly impossible to narrow it down to just one. But I always gravitate toward seafood, especially shrimp. The fact that it’s on the plate in about 10 minutes is a bonus. It’s perfect for summer BBQ’s when you need a little something to pick on with a glass of wine or you can increase the portion and have it for dinner with a hunk of crusty bread for soaking up all the delicious juices.
A meal of small plates is ideal for me. It gives me the chance to try 5 or 6 different things instead of having to commit to one large plate. Gather a few friends and have a tapas dinner party! Everyone brings something different to share, make 1 dish and eat LOTS more… Check out some of the tapas from the Sunday Supper group below the recipe!
Thank you to Caroline’s Cooking for hosting this special Sunday Supper event!
- 1/2 lb. raw shrimp, tail-on
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 c. Spanish olive oil (I used arbequina olive oil)
- 1 TB. unsalted butter
- 1/8 c. dry Spanish sherry (or dry white wine)
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 TB chopped fresh parsley
- pinch of salt & pepper
- In a medium saute pan, combine olive oil and butter over medium low heat. When butter has melted, add garlic and saute until fragrant (about 1 - 2 minutes)
- Turn heat up to medium/medium high and add shrimp, salt & pepper. Cook shrimp until it is bright pink, 2 - 3 minutes per side for medium shrimp. Remove shrimp & garlic.
- Add sherry (or white wine) and chili flakes, swirl around and let the wine cook out for a minute or two, add shrimp & garlic back in and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle parsley over top & serve immediately.
- Apple, Chorizo, and Manchego Crostini by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Champiñones al Ajillo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chorizo and Sweet Potato Spanish Tortilla Bites by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus & Fennel Marinated Olives by Go Epicurista
- Clams Casino Dip with Bacon by Girl Abroad
- Crab Enchilado Empanadas with Avocado Cream by Gourmet Everyday
- Fried Almonds with Thyme by What The Fork Food Blog
- Gambas al Ajillo (Garlic Shrimp) by Pook’s Pantry
- Garlicky Shrimp with Olive Oil by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gazpacho Cucumber Bites by A Mind Full Mom
- Gildas Picantes – Spicy Anchovy Olive Skewers by Food Lust People Love
- Herbed and Spiced Almonds by Get the Good Stuff!
- Huevos Rellenos de Gambas (Deviled Eggs with Shrimp) by Our Good Life
- How to make Beef Sweet Sour Meatballs with Pineapple for #SundaySupper by Asian In America
- Manchego Cheese & Chorizo Bites with Saffron Alioli by Hardly A Goddess
- Margarita Ceviche by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pinchos Morunos (Spanish Pork Skewers) with Mojo Picon by Curious Cuisiniere
- Roasted Bell Pepper Goat Cheese Bites by She Loves Biscotti
- Roasted Eggplant and Piquillo Pepper Toasts by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Roasted Red Peppers and Anchovies with Bruschetta by The Hungry Goddess
- Seared Scallops with Shredded Manchego and a Bleu Cheese Crumble by The Freshman Cook
- Serrano Ham & Goat Cheese Croquettes by My World Simplified
- Serrano Ham Bites with Melon and Cheese by Palatable Pastime
- Shrimp Romesco Bites by Cooking On The Ranch
- Smoked Sardine Crostini by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Spanish Garlic Shrimp by Life Tastes Good
- Stuffed Mushrooms by The Chef Next Door
- Tomato Gazpacho With Fried Avocado Bites by Nik Snacks
- Tortillita De Camarones by the healthy fit foodie
- Tortilla Española by Monica’s Table
- White Wine Marinated Steak with Blue Cheese by Caroline’s Cooking
- Zanahorias Aliñadas (Spanish Marinated Carrots) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Postres (Desserts) –
- Buñuelos de Viento by Dessert Geek
- Chocolate Orange Macarons by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Chocolate Toasts with Apricots by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Churro Bites with Chocolate Sauce by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Churro Cupcakes by Pies and Plots
- Mini Vanilla Flans by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Dulce de Leche Cheesecakes by The Redhead Baker
Bebidas (Drinks) –
- Tinto de Verano ~ A Sangria alternative by An Appealing Plan
Plus Alcachofas al Ajillo – Garlicky Artichokes – and Spanish Tapas Recipes by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.