A little bit sweet, with garlic and ginger, and as spicy you’d like it, this fragrant, saucy chicken dish is made in a slow cooker. It’s super simple and requires very little hands-on time. Serve over rice with a generous squeeze of fresh lime juice.
As most of you already know, I’m going to be on the sidelines soon recuperating from surgery. I’ve asked a few of my favorite food blogging friends to help fill the gaps for me. The first volunteer to help share the load was my friend Stacy. She is as wonderful a friend as anyone could ask for, she has a smile that lights up her whole face and a laugh that fills the room with an infectious giggle. She has lived on nearly every continent and I am fascinated by her adventurous life. Stacy blogs at Food Lust People Love , please do check her out and give her some love. Her recipes are absolutely wonderful. You can also find her on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter. Many, many thanks to Stacy for this delicious recipe, the gift of your friendship and your sweet and generous spirit. xx
When my friend Cheryl asked if some of her blogging friends would be willing to make a dish for Pook’s Pantry while she prepares for and recovers from surgery, I immediately said yes with enthusiasm. I adore Cheryl! She’s talented and smart, with a biting wit that makes me snort coffee through my nose many mornings. She has an immense heart and a warm smile, with a glint in her eye that tells you immediately that she does not suffer fools lightly, which is one of my favorite things about her. And when Cheryl’s in chef-mode, get the hell out of her way. That woman can COOK! But she’s been on overload lately and it pleases me to step in for her to try to ease the stress.
Here’s a little dish that’s a favorite at our house, not just because the cook can chuck it all in the slow cooker and go pour herself a glass of something good, but because it tastes divine. You will be fighting over that last piece of chicken and scraping the bottom of the slow cooker crock with your spoons.
- 8 chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup or 120ml water
- 1/4 cup, firmly packed or 50g brown sugar
- 1 thumb-size piece fresh ginger – about 50g, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Datil Fire hot sauce or your favorite hot sauce, to taste
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dark soy for color (Kitchen bouquet or similar works too if you can’t find dark thick soy.)
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients together, stirring well to dissolve the sugar and the cornstarch.
- Put the chicken thighs in the slow cooker, skin side down.
- Pour the sauce over the top. Cover the slow cooker tightly.
- Cook on high for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn the chicken thighs over, give the sauce a stir and cover again. Cook for an additional 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve over rice (white or brown) with lime wedges, plus additional garnishes.
- Lime sections – a good squeeze of lime elevates this dish. Don’t skip the lime.
- Crushed red pepper flakes – for more heat, if desired
- Sesame seeds
- Toasted sesame oil – just a drizzle
- Chopped cilantro
- As with anything you are cooking in a slow cooker, resist the urge to open the lid except at the prescribed interval. Every time you remove the lid it takes the slow cooker some time to get back up to temperature.
- Not a fan of thighs? Use breasts but please at least get the bone-in ones and cook on low for the three hours or reduce the cooking time on high.
Many thanks to my dear friend Cheryl for trusting me to bring you tastiness today. I wish her a full and speedy recovery!