Soft, chewy and so colorful, these funfetti cookies from scratch are perfect for Easter or any Springtime occasion. Made with only a handful of pantry ingredients, these cookies don’t require a boxed mix or any special ingredients.
If you make a purchase through one of the affiliate links, I make a few pennies at no extra cost to you. Questions? Please see disclosure for info.
Easter funfetti cookies from scratch
Making these bright and colorful funfetti cookies from scratch is a snap. They are perfect for any occasion, and all you need are a few pantry basics.
No need for a boxed mix, just grab a few baking essentials and you’ll have these sweet Easter treats ready in no time!
Make Easter funfetti cookies from scratch with just a handful of pantry ingredients. No need for a boxed mix!
• Butter – Use unsalted butter so you can control the amount of salt in your baked goods.
• All-purpose flour – Weighing your flour is the most accurate way to measure.
• Vanilla – Use pure vanilla extract, if possible. Avoid the imitation variety.
• Sprinkles – For best results, use jimmies in the dough. Nonpareils, while fine for topping the cookies before baking, will bleed into the dough and turn it an unappetizing color.
• Sugar + Brown sugar – This combination yields a cookie with a soft, chewy center and crisp edges.
Tools and equipment
- I used this sprinkle mix to cover the cookies. The nonpareils are so shiny! You can also use the same jimmies that are in the dough. (See photo below)
- Electric mixer – I use a stand mixer, but you can also use a hand held electric mixer.
- Mixing bowls of various sizes – I like stainless steel because they are so versatile and they won’t crack or break.
- Baking sheets – Invest in commercial sheet pans. They will last forever and they won’t warp.
- Parchment paper sheets or silicone baking mats will prevent the cookies from sticking to the pan.
- Cookie scoop – this is the same one I used for the recipe.
- Jimmies sprinkles in Spring colors.
Use whichever type of sprinkles you prefer for the tops of the funfetti cookies.
How to make funfetti cookies from scratch
First, whisk dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Do this a little longer than you think is necessary – trust me. This is your only opportunity to make sure the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt are well combined.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
Next, add the egg and mix until combined before adding the dry ingredients to the bowl.
Lastly, add the sprinkles and mix gently until just combined. Mix on low to avoid breaking the jimmies or overmixing the dough.
Use a cookie scoop to portion out the dough, then chill the dough for at least one hour. Top the cookies with sprinkles, then bake on a lined baking sheet.
Perfect funfetti cookies from scratch every time! These cookies use Springtime colors for Easter, but you can easily swap the sprinkles for other occasions. Red, white and blue for summer holidays, autumn colors for fall holidays, red and green for Christmas, etc.
Chef’s tips for success
• The most important tip is to chill your dough. This is non-negotiable. If you skip this step, the funfetti sprinkle cookies will spread and you will be disappointed.
• Use a silicone baking mat or parchment paper to line the baking pan to prevent cookies from sticking.
• Use a cookie scoop to make sure all of the cookies are the same size. This makes even, round cookies that bake at the same rate.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. You can make the dough up to 2 days ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator. If making ahead, I suggest scooping the dough before chilling. It’s much easier to do before the dough is cold.
Yep! You can freeze the balls of cookie dough for up to 3 months. The baked funfetti cookies can also be frozen – wrap tightly and seal in a freezer bag for best results.
Jimmies, or the sprinkles that resemble short sticks are the best to use in these cookies. The round nonpareils will bleed in the dough. They are fine for using to top the cookies, but not in the dough.
More cookie recipes from scratch
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
I hope you love this from scratch funfetti cookie recipe as much as we do! Please consider rating and/or commenting.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, 1/2 cup, room temp.
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 6.3 ounces
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 1/2 cup Spring colored jimmies sprinkles + extra for topping cookies (SEE NOTE)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk to combine flour, salt, baking soda and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (you can also use a hand-held electric mixer), cream butter with sugars until light and fluffy - about 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add egg and mix until incorporated. Scrape down bowl.
- Add vanilla and almond extracts, mix to combine.
- Carefully add dry ingredients to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Finally, add 1/2 cup of jimmies to the dough. mix on low just until sprinkles are incorporated.
- Use small cookie scoop to portion 21 balls of cookie dough. Place on cookie sheet and cover tightly with plastic. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (325°F convection) / 180°C / Gas mark 4.
- Remove dough from fridge and top each cookie with more jimmies or nonpareils, and place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, just until edges are golden brown. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 - 8 minutes before transferring to cookie rack to cool completely.
For best results, DO NOT use nonpareils in the cookie dough. Use jimmies (the sprinkles that look like tiny sticks), as they will not bleed into the dough and discolor it. Either type of sprinkle is fine for the topping the cookies before baking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 95mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 10gProtein: 1g
Nutrition information calculated by a third-party company as a courtesy. It is intended as a guideline only.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a delicious day 🙂
Questions? Send me an email, I’m happy to help. I’d love to send you weekly tips and recipes, so you can get updates about what’s happening in the kitchen!
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos or recipe (other than for personal use) without prior written permission. Thank you!