Lavender scones are an extra special treat perfect for Mother’s Day, bridal or baby showers or Sunday brunch.
I don’t mean to swim upstream, it just seems to happen. I’ve been on a bit of a scone kick lately. I will admit I’ve been making cranberry scones too and THOSE are holiday-ish, but I needed a break from the sea of cinnamon and nutmeg.
They are ridiculously easy (especially the drop kind like these) and they take very little time, which is a blessing during this frenzied time of year when time and energy are in short supply.
A friend of mine had given me a bit of lavender to play with and the first thing that popped into my head was lavender scones with a bit of lemon zest. The flavor is so delicate and just barely floral, it feels like a special treat.
Last year when I was still trying to find my way here after leaving Brooklyn, I decided to work at a Farmer’s Market. That’s how I met my friend Laurie. She is the reason for these scones… On my first day there, we just hit it off immediately! We chatted all day long and soon we were trading goods. I gave her food and she gave me spices. A match made in (culinary) heaven!
Every weekend was a treat to see what the other one had and at the end of the day, we always had new ideas, a ton of laughs and full bellies.
- 5 c. AP flour
- 1 c. sugar
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 c. unsalted butter, 1 1/2 sticks, COLD, cut into small cubes or grated
- zest of 2 lemons
- 2 eggs
- 2 c. whole milk
- 1 1/2 TB. culinary lavender
- coarse sanding sugar for tops
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl. Add butter, lavender and zest.
- Cut in with pastry blender or pulse a few times in food processor.
- Beat milk and eggs together, add to dry ingredients and stir with spatula until just combined.
- Scoop with a large cookie scoop, sprinkle sugar on top and bake for 18 - 20 minutes at 400 degrees
If your oven tends to run cool, increase temperature to 425°.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 3g
Nutrition calculated by a third part company