No offense to Swiss Miss, but it pales in comparison to the real deal. It will do in a pinch, but during the holidays it’s nice to make something special.
I usually make this treat “to go”… I put it in big travel mugs and we sip it as we stroll the neighborhood looking at the Christmas lights.
The peppermint schapps in it is delicious, but you might want to skip it if you’re making it for kids…
Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup good quality cocoa powder (I use Valrhona)
- 2 shots peppermint schnapps
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- crushed candy canes
- Combine heavy cream, vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat with electric mixer on highest speed until soft peaks form. Set whipped cream aside.
- In a small pot, combine cocoa powder, sugar and milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, do not allow to boil. Turn off heat and stir in schnapps.
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs, top with a dollop of whipped cream and sprinkle crushed cane on top.