3 ingredient classic margarita recipe
A simple, classic margarita recipe using only three ingredients: tequila, lime juice and Cointreau. This is a traditional margarita. It only takes 5 minutes to make and requires no special equipment. If you love a good margarita, this is for you.
For ease of browsing, you can find all of my drink recipes in one place.
A traditional margarita is a strong cocktail. It bears little resemblance to the huge, overly sweet, slushy concoctions served at some restaurants. (not that those are bad, they just aren’t a traditional marg.)
If you make a purchase through one of the affiliate links, I make a few pennies at no extra cost to you. Questions? Please see disclosure for info.
Classic margarita recipe
Below is everything you’ll need to make this cocktail. I love this rose gold bartender set and now I have a reason to actually use it.
- Tequila – Silver or “blanco” tequila is best. It is not aged. Look for a clear bottle, instead of the añejo or aged varieties.
- Cointreau – A brand of triple sec, it has a higher alcohol content than its less expensive counterparts.
- Lime juice – Use fresh lime juice! Please avoid the bottled kind, it will not taste the same and you will be disappointed. A citrus juicer will make it easy, but you can also squeeze it with kitchen tongs (Pro Chef tip!).
What is the best tequila for margaritas?
I prefer a silver tequila for margaritas. That being said, use what you like. If you have an aged tequila and that is what you prefer, use it.
However, if you are fresh out and need to buy some specifically to make this classic margarita recipe, I’d go with an unaged tequila.
How to make it
First, we need to make that classic salted rim. You’ll want to use a lime wedge to wet the outside rim of the glass.
If you cut the lime and run it around the entire edge of the glass, then dip it in salt, you’ll get salt in your drink. By only wetting the outside of the glass, the salt stays out of your cocktail.
Then, dip the outside of the glass into a shallow dish filled with kosher salt. Set the glasses aside to let the salt rim dry as we make our classic margarita recipe.
- Add tequila, Cointreau and fresh lime juice to a cocktail shaker (or mason jar, or any clean empty jar) with ice.
- Shake vigorously for about 10 seconds until everything is chilled.
- Add ice to your prepared glasses. I like to use these large ice cubes as they don’t dilute the drink as quickly as regular ice cubes. Slide a lime wheel (and an orange if you like it) in the glass to make it pretty.
- Pour your chilled classic margarita evenly into two glasses.
Chef tips for success
Because this drink has only three ingredients, choose ingredients that you like, because you will taste each of them. Along those same lines, choose the best that your budget will allow for the same reason.
If you don’t have a cocktail shaker, don’t sweat it. Use a mason jar, or any clean, empty jar that you have – just make sure that it has a tight lid.
To sweeten your drink a bit, add a splash of fresh orange juice. It helps to make the drink a little less strong, which I often do. Then, place an orange wheel in the glass.
You can also add a splash of simple syrup to your drink to sweeten it. Check out my strawberry daiquiri recipe for directions on making it.
Margarita Q & A
Good quality tequila, triple sec / Cointreau & lime juice. That’s it.
Yes. You don’t have to buy Cointreau, which is a bit pricier than a regular bottle of triple sec, but you do need it.
Yes. Cointreau IS triple sec, just not the inexpensive kind. The alcohol content varies widely between the two, with Cointreau coming in at about 40%.
Make it a party
I love a good theme and if you are having a gathering, you’ll need some food!
- Chicken tacos with cumin lime crema
- Poblano peppers and onions AKA rajas
- Mexican chocolate cupcakes
- Pumpkin empanadas
- Watermelon agua fresca
If you love this recipe, please give it 5 stars!
I hope you love this classic margarita recipe as much as we do! Please consider rating and/or commenting.
Your shares help this site to grow and I appreciate it so much. Do you know someone who would like this? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board.
Classic Margarita Recipe
A simple, classic margarita recipe using only 3 ingredients: tequila, Cointreau and lime juice.
- 3 oz. Blanco tequila (silver)
- 2 oz. Cointreau / triple sec
- 2 oz. freshly squeezed lime juice (*save a lime to wet the rim of the glass after you've juiced it)
- kosher salt
- ice cubes
- Fill a small saucer with kosher salt.
- Run the lime around the outside edge of the glass, then dip in salt. Set aside.
- Combine tequila, Cointreau/triple sec, lime juice and ice in a cocktail shaker and shake (vigorously) for 10 seconds.
- Pour evenly into prepared glasses over ice.
Use the recipe as a guideline. For example, if you like more of one ingredient, and less of another, adjust to your tastes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 drink
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 0g
Nutrition information calculated by a third-party company as a courtesy. It is intended as a guideline only.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a delicious day 🙂
Questions? Send me an email, I’m happy to help. I’d love to send you weekly tips and recipes, so you can get updates about what’s happening in the kitchen!
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos or recipe (other than for personal use) without prior written permission. Thank you!
Originally published 3/20/12, most recent update 4/25/22.
This looks crazy good. I can’t wait to make it!
Thank you, Sandi! I hope you like it! 🙂