Beet, Carrot and Apple Spinach Salad will quickly become your new fall favorite. Spiralized veggies on a bed on baby spinach, lightly dressed with a tangy vinaigrette. I’ve added a sprinkle of roasted pepitas for crunch and a handful of crumbled feta for extra deliciousness.
I happen to be a fan of beets. I’m the only one in my house who eats them. I’ve always liked them, even as a kid. I wanted to make a pretty salad with all of the beautiful colors of fall vegetables, but it had to be fresh tasting and not terribly time consuming. This salad looks like it took all day, when in fact, it took about 7 minutes. Aside from peeling a few veggies and running them through the spiralizer, there isn’t much to it. Whisk up a vinaigrette in 2 minutes and this entire salad is done in under 10 minutes. How’s that for speedy? Also, I had a plate of this drizzled with a really good Spanish olive oil and a sprinkling of flaked sea salt and it was divine. So, if you don’t feel like whisking up a vinaigrette, it’s still delicious.
We’ve Got the BEET
If you’ve never used a spiralizer before, it’s a snap. The beet and apple were really easy to run through. The carrot, on the other hand, a bit trickier. Use the fattest carrot you can find. I’m talking horse carrots. If you can’t find carrots that big around, just know that they will come out in smaller semi-circles, not beautiful spirals like the beet. The other option is a vegetable peeler. You can make long ribbons out of the carrot, or just grate them and call it a day.
This recipe is easily made vegan by omitting the cheese. If that isn’t a concern, let me say that goat cheese is also really good here.
Used in this recipe:
- Spiralizer – This is the one I have. It is inexpensive and works like a charm!
- Honey Lemon Vinaigrette – This is my go to salad dressing. Bright and tangy from the lemon, a touch of sweetness from the honey and the whole grain mustard ties it all together.
- 2 red beets, peeled
- 2 yellow beets, peeled
- 3 large carrots, peeled
- 1 granny smith apple
- 10 oz baby spinach
- 3 oz crumbled feta
- 1/4 cup roasted, salted pepitas
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 lemon + bowl of cold water
- Honey Lemon Vinaigrette (link to recipe in post above ↑)
- Make vinaigrette, set aside.
- Portion spinach into bowls, or on platter. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Fill a small/medium, non-reactive bowl with cold water and squeeze half a lemon into the water. Drop the lemon half into the water and set aside.
- Using the fine shredding blade, make "noodles" with the apple. Immediately submerge apple rings into the lemon water. This will keep the apple from turning brown.
- Next, run the yellow beet through the spiralizer and set aside. Repeat with the carrots and finally the red beets.
- Layer all of the veggies on top of the spinach, sprinkle with pepitas and cheese (if using) and drizzle with vinaigrette. Dig in.
- This salad serves 2 as a main, 4 as a side salad.
- Swap out creamy goat cheese for feta for a different take on this salad