This Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipe is a great way to use up your end of summer bounty. As summer comes to an end, tomatoes and cucumbers are plentiful and this salad celebrates all the flavors of the season.
With ripe heirloom tomatoes, seedless English cucumber, kalamata olives, marinated artichokes and a burst of lemon, this salad is the perfect summer side or light lunch.
Celebrate the flavors of summer
I know everyone is already focused on cooler weather, but it’s still in the 80’s and 90’s in most of the country. As summer starts to wind down, my tomato population is still going strong. This tomato cucumber salad recipe celebrates the flavors of the season, because it’s still summer for another few weeks. I’m ready to enjoy the fall, but I also don’t want to feel rushed to abandon all the gorgeous vegetables that are plentiful right now.
Sometimes I am hesitant to put recipes here that I think will be too simple or maybe you just won’t find that interesting. Recently, there was a discussion amongst a few of my foodie friends regarding the subject of “overdoing” food. Adding so many components to something that is already delicious on its own to the point that it’s nearly unrecognizable. I have never quite understood that.
My point is, sometimes food doesn’t need fussing with. When you are working with gorgeous produce (or any other food for that matter), it’s ok to let it stand on its own. If something is at its absolute best, let that be the focal point. This is the salad to make when everything you have is at its peak.
This tomato cucumber salad recipe is a perfect light and refreshing side to grilled fish or chicken. It is a healthy swap for potato chips when you need something with a little crunch and texture alongside your sandwich. Or, if you’re like me, an afternoon nibble when you just need “a little something”.
If possible, use a variety of tomatoes as they each have slightly different flavors and textures. The mix of colors will also make it more visually appealing and everyone know we eat with our eyes first. When something is gorgeous, like this salad, we can’t wait to dig in.
Tomato Cucumber Salad Recipe:
- 1 English cucumber, quartered and sliced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved, heirloom
- 1 cup artichoke hearts, quartered, marinated
- 1/2 cup mixed olives, pitted
- 1/4 lemon, sliced, paper thin
- 1 tsp lemon thyme (or regular thyme), leaves only
- 3 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tsp chives, chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin
- 1.5 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tsp salt, kosher
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except herbs. Mix to combine
- At this point, you can let it marinate for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Add herbs and toss to combine. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Saturated Fat: 2gSodium: 1041mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 2g
ENTER THE GIVEAWAY:
MORE SIMPLE SALADS:
- Nectarine Blue Cheese Spinach Salad
- Chicken Taco Salad with Avocado Buttermilk Dressing
- Spiralized Beet, Carrot and Apple Spinach Salad
- Grilled Pear, Gorgonzola and Candied Pecan Salad
- Summer Grain Salad
- Thai Chicken Salad with Spicy Chili Lime Dressing