Apple cranberry chicken salad is full of crunchy apples and sweet tart dried cranberries. It makes a great lunch, perfect on a sandwich or on lettuce for a lower carb option. This is the chicken salad for people who like tons of flavor and texture. This chicken salad has plenty of crunch from celery and apples, pecan and almonds, and flavor from the scallions (green onions), parsley and dill. The chicken is cooked in a slow cooker, so you can get on with your day.
Apple Cranberry Chicken Salad
I have been making this version of my chicken salad recipe for almost two decades. Why I haven’t shared it here is beyond me. I think I figured that there are literally thousands of recipes out there, so mine really didn’t matter much. Then, I thought about a client I had a couple of years ago before I moved. She asked me to make her a QUART of this chicken salad every single week for over a year. She never tired of it. So, I guess that made me think that maybe someone else out there might like it too and here we are.
I use chicken thighs for my chicken salad, because that’s what I prefer. I find they have more flavor than boneless, skinless chicken breasts and I happen to be a fan of flavor. Also, I prefer to use shredded chicken for my chicken salad instead of diced chicken and I like the way that thigh meat shreds, so that’s another win for dark meat. You can absolutely shred chicken breasts, if that is your preference. That’s the great thing about cooking, you can do whatever the heck you want to (within reason). Like most of the recipes on this blog, this apple cranberry chicken salad recipe is totally customizable to your personal preferences.
CRANBERRY CHICKEN SALAD WRAPS
I make a fairly big batch of this apple cranberry chicken salad and then use it for the week ahead. It’s great to have it made already when you need a quick bite. It has become a staple in our house and I’m sure once you make it, you’ll be hooked too.
MORE SANDWICH IDEAS:
USED IN THIS RECIPE:
PIN IT TO YOUR LUNCH BOARD:
- 3 cups chicken, cooked, cooled and shredded
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 scallions, green onions diced
- 1 apple, small apple, diced
- 1/3 cup cranberries, dried, sweetened
- 1/4 cup almonds, toasted, sliced
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped, fresh
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise, I use Hellman's
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh (optional)
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sprinkle 2 - 3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs with the granulated garlic and onion, 1 teaspoon salt and half teaspoon of pepper. Cook on low in a slow cooker for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours. I usually do them on low.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, cool slightly and shred. Set aside.
- Mix mayo and sour cream together. Add lemon juice, if using. Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add more mayo, if needed.
I make extra chicken in the crock pot for other uses. I figure if I'm making chicken anyway, I'm going to cook a little more than I need. If you find you have more chicken than you need, freeze the rest for another batch of chicken salad when you don't have time to make the chicken.
If you are really in a pinch, buy a rotisserie chicken. We've all been there.
Sometimes, I add a spoonful of whole grain or dijon mustard to this chicken salad. It adds a nice tangy bite.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 183Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 291mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g