Caprese eggplant stacks are irresistible. Roasted eggplant brushed with flavorful pesto, gooey, melted fresh mozzarella and perfectly ripe summer tomatoes. It’s a hit with vegetarians and meat eaters alike!
Do you ever have one of those “thunderbolt”moments when it hits you that the thing you’ve been craving most is within your reach? I think about food every moment I’m awake. Seriously. If it’s not food for myself, it’s food for clients or food for a blog post. It is a constant stream of food chatter in my brain. I wish this were an exaggeration. Perhaps then I might attain that size 6.
A few weeks ago, we went blueberry picking and stopped at a farmer’s market on the way home. Produce overload! I was in heaven. Grocery bags filled with gorgeous eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes, oranges, local honey, etc. We managed to fill FOUR bags for about $30. This made me rather pleased because I knew there was good food in my future.
I had been craving eggplant caprese, but I didn’t really give much thought to making it. On my way to the grocery store, it hit me: I had everything I needed for this at home already, except the fresh mozzarella. I couldn’t believe it. I was halfway home to meaty eggplant slicked with flavorful pesto. The tomatoes were absolutely perfect that we bought at the market. I could almost taste that melted mozzarella. I was positively giddy. But first, I had to get to the store. I was a girl on a mission. Get in, get out and get home!
I’ve started a new group on Facebook called Fabulous Foodie Friends. It’s a fun place for us to share ideas and our creations in a positive and supportive environment. I’m going to announce some new and exciting things coming soon!!! I really hope you join the group so you can be a part of it!
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
- 1 lb ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 16 equal pieces
- 1 large, perfectly ripe beefsteak tomato, sliced into 8 - 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 handful of basil leaves
- 1 cup pesto, homemade or store-bought
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups basil leaves, packed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Lay eggplant slices on a parchment lined sheet pan and brush with canola oil, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then flip each slice over and roast for an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle, but still warm. Spoon a teaspoon of pesto on each slice of eggplant and spread evenly.
- Layer mozzarella, tomato and basil leaf on top of eggplant. Top with another slice of eggplant, then mozzarella and return to the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Top with sun-dried tomato strips and basil leaves. Serve warm.
- Put everything except the cheese into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Transfer into a medium bowl and stir cheese in by hand.
- If desired, drizzle with balsamic vinegar.