Vegetarian recipes have been a popular topic around here lately and there are quite a few folks searching this site for vegetarian recipes for dinner. So, whether you’re looking for Meatless Monday dinners, you’re trying to eat less meat or you just want to try something new, I’ve rounded up the 25 best meatless recipes for you.
If you make a purchase through one of the affiliate links, I make a few pennies at no extra cost to you. Questions? Please see disclosure for info.
Pook’s best 25 vegetarian recipes
Summer is right around the corner and that means the markets will soon be stocked with summer vegetables. If you are new to vegetarian cooking, this is the perfect time to give it a try. Produce will be at its peak and that is the best time to try something new – when it is in season.
You can swap out certain vegetables for others in most of the recipes, if needed. As we move into the warmer months, there is no shortage of beautiful vegetables to choose from to make your best vegetarian recipes for dinner.
Vegetarian recipes for dinner
Trying to pick my favorite recipes for this list is like trying to pick your favorite kid. I’m going to kick it off with one of my personal favorites, a tart that is much easier to make than you might think.
1. Tomato Tart with Goat Cheese – Ripe summer tomatoes make this tomato tart a seriously delicious dinner. A buttery crust is filled with creamy goat cheese and caramelized onions before topping with sliced heirloom tomatoes. A sprinkling of fresh parmesan gives it a browned, bubbling top when you slide it out of the oven. It is absolutely one of my favorite summer suppers.
2. Caprese Eggplant Stacks – Caprese eggplant stacks are irresistible. Roasted eggplant brushed with flavorful pesto, gooey, melted fresh mozzarella and perfectly ripe summer tomatoes. It’s a hit with vegetarians and meat eaters alike, which isn’t always an easy task. Because eggplant is so “meaty”, you don’t feel the least bit deprived.
3. Vegan Crispy Tofu Asian Noodle Bowl – This bowl of goodness was unbelievably delicious. The thing I like about recipes like this one is that they are totally customizable. If you don’t like something in the bowl, swap it out for something you love. This is a great reason to venture into an Asian market and just look around, discover new things and try something you’ve never had before. This is one of our favorite vegetarian recipes for dinner.
4. Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash – This is a fall favorite, but acorn squash is almost always in the market, so if a craving strikes, you can satisfy it. This squash is filled with quinoa, spinach, dried cranberries and pecans.
5. Soba Noodles with Stir-Fried Vegetables – Quick and easy, this vegetarian recipe is done is no time at all. Stir-fry dinners cook very quickly, the most time-consuming task is chopping vegetables. If you are short on time, or have trouble holding a knife, buy your veggies pre-cut. Yes, it is a smidge pricier, but it’s better than take-out every single time.
6. Vegan Chickpea Curry – Full of flavor and packed with veggies, this dinner is great if you are having friends over. The recipe makes enough for four, or even five if you aren’t big eaters. The curry gives the dish amazing flavor without overwhelming it.
7. Oven Roasted Vegetable Pasta – This recipe could go under any of the headings in this post. It is great for picky eaters, it’s super easy and totally delicious. Again, this pasta recipe can be tailored to your personal tastes. Making vegetarian recipes for dinner doesn’t have to be difficult. This pasta dish is really easy!
Veggie recipes for picky eaters
This next section is for the ones who have to be convinced. Vegetarian recipes for dinner are not always a big hot with this crowd, so they need to hit it out of the park. I think these do the job.
8. Zucchini Fritters – Zucchini doesn’t always get a lot of love, but I have to tell you, it is one of my favorite vegetables. This zucchini fritter recipe is a perfect low calorie side. They are quick and easy, plus they are great for making ahead. I recently made them for a client and I promptly got a phone call asking me to make them again!
9. Veggie Cakes – The recipe that started it all. This was my jumping off point for creating more veggie cake recipes and vegetarian recipes. It continues to be one of the top posts on this blog and I am so grateful for that.
10. Summer Grain Salad – This recipe has been featured on several websites, including Shape magazine. It is bright and colorful, it is delicious and good for you without tasting like it’s good for you, if you know what I mean. It is one of the lightest, freshest vegetarian recipes for dinner. It’s perfect for summer.
11. Mediterranean Quinoa Salad – This is something I make for clients all the time. It is requested on a regular basis, so you know it’s good.
12. Vegetarian Poutine – This vegetarian poutine gravy recipe actually won me a place in a recipe contest. I’m half Canadian, so I felt like I had a duty to put this on the list. Plus, it won an award, so it deserves a spot. If you’ve never had poutine, trust me, you need to fix that immediately. Often served with a brown gravy, this is my vegetarian version with mushroom gravy.
Easy vegetarian recipes
Sometimes, you need a meal that doesn’t require much effort. These vegetarian recipes for dinner deliver just that – a satisfying veggie meal that doesn’t take all day to prepare.
13. Lentil Soup – Lentil soup is a classic for a reason. It is an easy soup to make, it’s full of vegetables and it’s delicious. It is satisfying, but does not leave you feeling heavy. If you are a soup lover like me, you’ll want to save this easy recipe for those evenings when a bowl of soup makes the perfect supper.
14. Superfood Salad with Pomegranate – This salad is gluten-free and can be easily veganized by omitting the goat cheese. This salad is full of flavor and texture. I served it to our dinner guests a few weeks ago and we ate every single bit of it. If you are looking for a new salad recipe, this is it.
15. White Beans with Arugula and Sun Dried Tomato – I love this quick and easy dish, but don’t just take my word for it. Here’s a comment from a reader:
“This recipe is EASY, healthy, vegan, and fast. I love how versatile it can be — you can change the greens you use, or the seasoning, or even the beans for a different dish every time. It’s good hot or cold, and is hearty enough to serve as the main entrée. Here’s what fans are saying: Another A+++ in my book!” -Kelley
16. Quinoa Salad with black beans, mango and lime – This is one of my summertime go to recipes. It is light and refreshing on a hot day and will keep in the refrigerator so I can eat it all week long for lunch.
17. Israeli Salad – The perfect summer bite. It takes the absolute best of summer’s bounty and combines it into a light and refreshing salad that you can eat all summer long. It makes a great side or light lunch during the warmer months when we all crave healthy salads and lighter meals.
Hearty meatless dishes
These vegetarian recipes for dinner are great for feeding a crowd. Having a few friends over? Make a few of these and have a bountiful meal.
18. Warm Bulgur Wheat Salad – Chewy, roasted chickpeas and toasted pine nuts are tossed with bulgur or cracked wheat, sautéed with sweet red onions and finished with fresh herbs. It’s also fast and easy, making it a hit for weeknight dinners.
19. Beet Salad with Feta – Spiralized beets, apples and carrots on a bed on baby spinach, lightly dressed with a tangy vinaigrette. I’ve added a sprinkle of roasted pepitas for crunch and a handful of crumbled feta for extra deliciousness.
20. Stuffed Summer tomatoes – Recently, I asked my peeps in our Fabulous Foodie Friends group over on Facebook to weigh in on what THEY would like to see with tomatoes. I have to tell you, I was shocked to see stuffed tomatoes win the top spot. Next, I asked for a vote on fillings. There was a tie, so I decided to make them both!
21. Vegetarian stuffed peppers – Filled with heart-healthy quinoa and beans are an easy weeknight vegetarian dinner. This delicious meal will satisfy everyone in the family, even the meat-eaters, and they are gluten-free.
Meatless recipes for dinner
These final recipes are some of the first vegetarian meals that I made. They are simple and delicious.
22. Watermelon Gazpacho – Made with fresh watermelon, juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and bell peppers, it has just a bit zing from a jalapeño pepper. This soup improves overnight, so making it the day before is even better.
23. Sweet Potato Vegetable Cakes – This is another fan favorite and also, a favorite of mine. These crispy cakes are always a crowd-pleaser.
Here’s what Jennifer has to say about them – “These are awesome. I was looking for something different for my abundance of sweet potatoes. Love the freeze option!”
24. Eggplant Caponata – It might not be the sexiest thing in a bowl, but for me it was love at first bite. I make big batches of this stuff when I have a craving for it. It’s great on toasted baguettes for an appetizer, it’s fantastic piled on a bowl of pasta and it’s wonderful eaten alongside another main entrée. This is one of my all time favorite vegetarian recipes for dinner.
25. Spinach Artichoke Pasta with a light lemony sauce – It’s light and lemony and perfect for packing up and taking to the beach. It also makes a great lunch for the work week.
If you love these vegetarian recipes for dinner, please give them 5 stars!
Your shares help this site to grow and I appreciate it so much. Do you know someone who would like this? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a delicious day 🙂
Questions? Send me an email, I’m happy to help. I’d love to send you weekly tips and recipes, so you can get updates about what’s happening in the kitchen!
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos or recipe without prior written permission. Thank you!
Originally published 4/27/19, most recent update 5/11/21.