Vegetarian recipes have been a popular topic around here lately and it seems that there are quite a few folks searching this site for vegetarian recipes for dinner. So, whether you’re looking for Meatless Monday dinners, you’re trying to eat less meat or you just want to try something new, I’ve rounded up the 25 best meatless recipes for you.
POOK’S 25 BEST VEGETARIAN RECIPES
Summer is right around the corner and that means the markets will soon be stocked with summer vegetables. If you are new to vegetarian cooking, this is the perfect time to give it a try. Produce will be at its peak and that is the best time to try something new – when it is in season.
Vegetarian Recipes for dinner
Trying to pick my favorite recipes for this list is like trying to pick your favorite kid (unless your my Mom, then that’s a no-brainer;)). I’m going to kick it off with one of my personal favorites, a tart that is much easier to make than you might think.
1. Tomato Tart with Goat Cheese – Ripe summer tomatoes make this tomato tart a seriously delicious dinner. A buttery crust is filled with creamy goat cheese and caramelized onions before topping with sliced heirloom tomatoes. A sprinkling of fresh parmesan gives it a browned, bubbling top when you slide it out of the oven. It is absolutely one of my favorite summer suppers.
2. Caprese Eggplant Stacks – Caprese eggplant stacks are irresistible. Roasted eggplant brushed with flavorful pesto, gooey, melted fresh mozzarella and perfectly ripe summer tomatoes. It’s a hit with vegetarians and meat eaters alike, which isn’t always an easy task. Because eggplant is so “meaty”, you don’t feel the least bit deprived.
3. Vegan Crispy Tofu Asian Noodle Bowl – This bowl of goodness was unbelievably delicious. The thing I like about recipes like this one is that they are totally customizable. If you don’t like something in the bowl, swap it out for something you love. This is a great reason to venture into an Asian market and just look around, discover new things and try something you’ve never had before.
4. Vegetarian Stuffed Acorn Squash – This is a fall favorite, but acorn squash is almost always in the market, so if a craving strikes, you can satisfy it. This squash is filled with quinoa, spinach, dried cranberries and pecans.
5. Soba Noodles with Stir-Fried Vegetables – Quick and easy, this vegetarian recipe is done is no time at all. Stir-fry dinners cook very quickly, the most time-consuming task is chopping vegetables. If you are short on time, or have trouble holding a knife, buy your veggies pre-cut. Yes, it is a smidge pricier, but it’s better than take-out every single time.
6. Vegan Chickpea Curry – Full of flavor and packed with veggies, this dinner is great if you are having friends over. The recipe makes enough for four, or even five if you aren’t big eaters. The curry gives the dish amazing flavor without overwhelming it.
7. Oven Roasted Vegetable Pasta – This recipe could go under any of the headings in this post. It is great for picky eaters, it’s super easy and totally delicious. Again, this pasta recipe can be tailored to your personal tastes.
Vegetarian Recipes for Picky Eaters
8. Zucchini Fritters – Zucchini doesn’t always get a lot of love, but I have to tell you, it is one of my favorite vegetables. This zucchini fritter recipe is a perfect low calorie side. They are quick and easy, plus they are great for making ahead. I recently made them for a client and I promptly got a phone call asking me to make them again!
9. Veggie Cakes – The recipe that started it all. This was my jumping off point for creating more veggie cake recipes and vegetarian recipes. It continues to be one of the top posts on this blog and I am so grateful for that.
10. Summer Grain Salad – This recipe has been featured on several websites, including Shape magazine. It is bright and colorful, it is delicious and good for you without tasting like it’s good for you, if you know what I mean.
11. Mediterranean Quinoa Salad – This is something I make for clients all the time. It is requested on a regular basis, so you know it’s good.
12. Vegetarian Poutine – this vegetarian poutine gravy recipe actually won me a place in a recipe contest. I’m half Canadian, so I felt like I had a duty to put this on the list. Plus, it won an award, so it deserves a spot. If you’ve never had poutine, trust me, you need to fix that immediately. It’s basically fries with gravy and cheese curds, but my version is made into an hors d’oeuvre.
Easy Vegetarian Recipes
13. Lentil Soup – Lentil soup is a classic for a reason. It is an easy soup to make, it’s full of vegetables and it’s delicious. It is satisfying, but does not leave you feeling heavy. If you are a soup lover like me, you’ll want to save this easy recipe for those evenings when a bowl of soup makes the perfect supper.
14. Superfood Salad with Pomegranate – This salad is gluten-free and can be easily veganized by omitting the goat cheese. This salad is full of flavor and texture. I served it to our dinner guests a few weeks ago and we ate every single bit of it. If you are looking for a new salad recipe, this is it.
16. Nectarine Blue Cheese Spinach Salad – This salad is topped with fresh and dried fruit, a zingy dressing and a few crunchy, toasted almonds. We’ve all seen or eaten the salad with strawberries, but this spinach salad uses perfectly ripe stone fruit and tangy blue cheese. It is by far one of my all-time favorite salads and you know how much I love a good bowl of greens.
17. Israeli Salad – The perfect summer bite. It takes the absolute best of summer’s bounty and combines it into a light and refreshing salad that you can eat all summer long. It makes a great side or light lunch during the warmer months when we all crave healthy salads and lighter meals.
18. Warm Bulgur Wheat Salad – Chewy, roasted chickpeas and toasted pine nuts are tossed with bulgur or cracked wheat, sauteed with sweet red onions and finished with fresh herbs. It’s also fast and easy, making it a hit for weeknight dinners.
19. Beet Salad with Feta – Spiralized beets, apples and carrots on a bed on baby spinach, lightly dressed with a tangy vinaigrette. I’ve added a sprinkle of roasted pepitas for crunch and a handful of crumbled feta for extra deliciousness.
20. Stuffed Summer tomatoes – Recently, I asked my peeps in our Fabulous Foodie Friends group over on Facebook to weigh in on what THEY would like to see with tomatoes. I have to tell you, I was shocked to see stuffed tomatoes win the top spot. Next, I asked for a vote on fillings. There was a tie, so I decided to make them both!
21. Superfood Veggie Cakes – They are baked, not fried, and full of nutrient dense ingredients. Tuck these delicious veggie cakes into lunch boxes for a healthy midday meal and avoid the afternoon slump. Perfect for breakfast with an egg on top to get veggies for breakfast too!
Yummy Vegetarian Recipes
22. Watermelon Gazpacho – Made with fresh watermelon, juicy tomatoes, crisp cucumbers and bell peppers, it has just a bit zing from a jalapeño pepper. This soup improves overnight, so making it the day before is even better.
23. Sweet Potato Vegetable Cakes – This is another fan favorite. Here’s what Jennifer has to say about them – “These are awesome. I was looking for something different for my abundance of sweet potatoes. Love the freeze option!”
24. Eggplant Caponata – It might not be the sexiest thing in a bowl, but for me it was love at first bite… I make BIG batches of this stuff when I have a craving for it. It’s great on toasted baguettes for an appetizer, it’s fantastic piled on a bowl of pasta and it’s wonderful eaten alongside another main entrée.
25. Spinach Artichoke Pasta with a light lemony sauce – This post is almost seven years old, so please forgive the terrible photo. I hesitated to include it because of the old picture, but it’s too good to miss out on. Trust me, the recipe is DELICIOUS. It’s light and lemony and perfect for packing up and taking to the beach.
Don’t forget to pin this collection of vegetarian recipes!
Thanks for stopping by! Have a delicious weekend 🙂