Roasted vegetable pasta is an easy weeknight meal that comes together in about 40 minutes. Plan ahead and do all of the chopping the night before and it is ready in under 30 minutes. This meatless meal is packed with vegetables and herbs, so it has tons of flavor. You will want to make extra, it’s also delicious cold and makes an excellent lunch the next day. It is easily made vegan by omitting the cheese.
Roasted Vegetable Pasta
I love simple meals like this. Most days, I’m running around like a madwoman just trying to keep my head above water. I’m sure most of you can relate. There are days when I haven’t eaten lunch (a lot of days, if I’m honest), and all of a sudden it’s 5:30 and I’m starving. Next thing I know, I’m standing in front of the refrigerator trying to figure out what I have and how it can become an actual meal. Luckily, I always have a ton of fresh vegetables on hand and I decided that it would be a good time to “clean out the fridge” and use up all of the veggies.
Roasted vegetable pasta is easy, delicious and the only real chore is chopping up some veggies. If you’re really in a pinch, buy them already chopped. It costs a bit more, but if you are pressed for time, it might be worth it.
Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness, so this pasta really is quite satisfying with just a splash of good quality olive oil and some flaky sea salt. Last week, I made this for a catered event and dressed it with a honey lemon mustard vinaigrette. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar would also be good here. However you decide to dress your pasta, just make this and enjoy!
- 1 pound penne pasta, or other short pasta
- 1 medium eggplant, diced
- 2 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives or scallions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Toss all of the vegetables with a few tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper. Lay in a single layer on two baking sheets. Roast for 25 minutes, or until slightly caramelized and soft.
- While vegetables are roasting, boil the pasta. Cook according to package directions.
- Combine warm vegetables with their baking juices and pasta. Add herbs and remaining olive oil, toss to combine. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve.
You can add more or less of anything here, this is just a guide. Feel free to swap out veggies and experiment!
I meant to add roasted cherry tomatoes in the pasta, but I forgot them. Trust me, they are sweet like candy when roasted.
Rotate your baking sheets halfway through to ensure even roasting!
Used to make Roasted Vegetable Pasta: