Now that the “dog days” of summer are over, I find myself baking treats for my canine companion. She loves sweet potatoes almost more than any other thing on earth, so it was essential to incorporate them into her treats.
For those of us that love our pets like we gave birth to them, making something special for them is not out of the ordinary… but for those of you that may not be pet-lovers I suppose it may seem a bit odd.
Our dog Cleo used to love these treats when my Mom would make them for her, so she sent me the recipe so I could make them for my little one. They are pretty quick to get together and not complicated at all, so the whole process is pretty painless.
Considering all of the unconditional love they give us and never ask for anything in return, making our beloved pets a special treat every now and then is a pretty good trade-off.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed sweet potato
- water (if needed)
1. Combine flours, milk powder and salt in a large bowl.
2. Beat the egg and add the sugar to the egg and whisk to combine.
3. Add the mashed sweet potato and make a stiff dough.
(you may have to add water or flour, it should feel like a biscuit dough)
4. Knead on a floured surface until dough is smooth and pliable, then roll out to 1/4″ thickness.
5. Use a small cookie cutter to cut out your shapes.
(I used a 2″ star)
6. Lay your “cookies” out on a lined sheet pan, egg wash the top (or brush with cream).