Sautéed Bok Choy with Gochujang
Sauteed bok choy with gochujang-spiced mushrooms is a flavor-packed side dish. Sesame, soy and gochujang coat the bok choy and mushrooms, making this dish addicting. The sauce is also amazing on roast chicken.
Vegetable sides don’t have to bland and this sauteed bok choy is anything but boring. This bok choy is low carb, low fat, and only has about 90 calories per serving.
If you make a purchase through one of the affiliate links, I make a few pennies at no extra cost to you. Questions? Please see disclosure for info.
Sauteed bok choy with brown beech mushrooms
These are HonShimeji Mushrooms, also known as Brown Beech. They are so pretty and delicate. I tossed them in a gochujang sauce and piled them on top of the sauteed bok choy, letting the sauce run down over the green vegetables, flavoring everything in its path.
Gochujang is a red pepper paste found in the Asian section of the grocery store. It is spicy, but not fiery hot. If you live near an Asian market, this is the best place to find all of the ingredients for this dish. If not, I’ll give you some good substitutions in the notes at the end.
Sauteed Bok Choy with Gochujang Mushrooms
How to clean bok choy
The first thing you need to know about bok choy is this: it needs to be cleaned really well. There are lots of places for the sandy dirt to hide. That makes for a very unpleasant bite if not properly washed. It takes a few minutes, but it’s worth your effort. I made a video for you to show you exactly how to clean it and why it is important. Make sure you look for the corner of the sink!
Used in this recipe:
Your shares help this site to grow. Do you know someone who would like this? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board.
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Please consider rating and/or commenting. I love hearing from you!
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on instagram @pookspantry or share it in the Fabulous Foodie Friends Facebook group! I can’t wait to see your version!
- Vegan Crispy Tofu Asian Noodle Bowl
- Thai Red Curry Coconut Shrimp and Sweet Potato Noodles
- Soba Noodles and Stir-Fried Vegetables
Sauteed Bok Choy with Gochujang
- 1 pound bok choy, cleaned
- 1 bunch hon shimeji, brown beech mushrooms, cleaned of any dirt and separated
- 1 tbsp canola or other neutral oil
- 3 tbsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Set aside.
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a large pot. Add bok choy and cover. Stir occasionally, until the bok choy is slightly softened, the leaves will be wilted. Cook about 3 minutes, then drain.
- Heat a large skillet (or a wok if you have one) over medium high heat. Add canola, then mushrooms, tossing so they don't burn. Cook about 4 minutes, then add sauce and remove from pan. Add bok choy and cook for 3 - 4 minutes, tossing frequently.
- Remove from heat, top with mushrooms and serve.
If you can't find bok choy, you can substitute with cabbage, swiss chard or even kale. You need a vegetable that will hold up to stir-frying.
If the mushrooms are hard to find, use regular cremini mushrooms or button mushrooms. If you can get portobellos, those would be a good substitute too. If you're lucky and see shiitakes, grab them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 92Sodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g
Thanks for stopping by! Have a delicious day 🙂
I’m so glad you posted this — I’m always looking for new, delicious ways to enjoy bok choy!
Thank you so much, Liren!
This looks like a bowl of goodness! Can’t wait to try!
Thank you, Liz!
Yum!! Looks so good!
Loved this so much! It was so good
Thanks for the recipe
Hi Priya! I’m so glad you liked the recipe! Thank you very much for leaving a lovely review 🙂