The best cherry crumb cake recipe
This sour cream cherry crumb cake is the BEST. Rich and buttery with a thick crumb topping, this crumb cake is loaded with fresh cherries and is made from scratch with common pantry ingredients.
Crumb cakes have always been a favorite. It’s the crumb topping that always lures me back. The thicker, the better, like my blueberry crumb cake.
If you make a purchase through one of the affiliate links, I make a few pennies at no extra cost to you. Questions? Please see disclosure for info.
Sour cream cherry crumb cake from scratch
Why make this cake from scratch? Because the taste of a boxed mix and a can of pie filling doesn’t even come close to the taste of this cake. Trust me.
Making this cake from scratch is not difficult at all, even for beginner bakers. If you have kiddos, get them involved – they can use the cherry pitter and do some of the work for you!
Ingredients for cherry crumb cake
This simple crumb cake recipe uses common ingredients that are likely already in your pantry.
- Sour cream – Use full fat, please do not use fat-free.
- Vanilla – Pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste will give this cake lovely flavor.
- Butter – Always use unsalted butter so you are the one in control of the salt.
- All-purpose flour – Any brand will do, I used King Arthur flour.
- Salt – I used fine sea salt, you can also use Diamond Crystal kosher salt.
- Baking powder and baking soda – Check the dates on these two ingredients if you don’t bake often! If they are expired, you’ll need to replace them.
- Sugar – Regular white sugar, nothing fancy.
- Eggs – I used large eggs in the recipe.
- Fresh cherries – Dark, sweet Bing cherries, or any variety that you find and like.
This easy cherry crumb cake is baked in a glass baking dish or 8 inch cake tin that has been buttered and floured or sprayed with non-stick baking spray. Sometimes I make a sling out of parchment paper to ensure it doesn’t stick and it makes it easier to lift the cake out of the pan.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Next, cream butter and sugar together in a separate bowl.
- Add eggs, vanilla and sour cream to the sugar and butter.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Then gently fold cherries into the batter.
- Last, cover with crumb topping and bake.
There is just something about a simple crumb cake that I absolutely love. It’s not fussy, it’s suitable as a snack with tea or coffee (for breakfast or dessert) and it is a sweet treat that I happily serve to guests. I’ve never met a single person who doesn’t like a delicious cake covered with a buttery crumb topping.
Recommended tools and equipment
- A cherry pitter is without a doubt your most valuable tool when it comes to working with fresh cherries.
- Electric hand mixer – No need to break out the stand mixer for this recipe. An electric hand mixer gets the job done.
- 8 x 8 baking dish – The stand glass baking dish in everyone’s cabinet. You can also use an 8″ cake pan – round or square, just make sure it has tall sides.
Helpful tips and tricks
Make the most of cherry season this summer with a few helpful tips.
The key to storing cherries is keeping them dry and cold. Do not wash them before storing them, added moisture can lead to spoilage. Store in plastic bags or containers. I always add a paper towel in the bag to help pull moisture away from the fruit. Stored properly, they will last a little over a week in the fridge.
Yes! The best method for freezing fresh cherries is to give them a rinse in cold water, then make sure they are completely dry. Remove the stem and the pits. Place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and freeze for about 5 hours. Place them in a bag and freeze for up to 6 months.
Yes – wrap tightly in plastic wrap and seal in a zip-top freezer bag for extra protections again freezer burn. Thaw uncovered, at room temperature. You may want to warm it in a low oven after thawing to help remove any sogginess in the crumb topping.
More cherry recipes
And there you have it – an easy crumb cake recipe loaded with fresh cherries. It’s a delicious summer treat that everyone will love.
If you love this cherry crumb cake recipe, please give it 5 stars!
I hope you love this recipe as much as we do! Please consider rating and/or commenting.
Your shares help this site to grow and I appreciate it so much. Do you know someone who would like this? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or pin it to your favorite recipe board.
Cherry crumb cake
This sour cream cherry crumb cake is rich and buttery with a thick crumb topping and loaded with fresh cherries.
For the crumb topping
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. fine salt
- 1 tsp. nutmeg (or cinnamon)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
For the crumb cake
- 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour (6.4 oz. / 180grams) + extra for pan
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened + extra for pan
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- 2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and halved
Preheat oven to 350°F / 177°C / Gas mark 4. Adjust oven rack to the middle of the oven.
Make the crumb topping
- In a small bowl, mix sugars together with nutmeg (or cinnamon) and salt.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Using a fork, gently mix in flour, making sure to scrape along the bottom of the bowl as you are mixing to incorporate sugar mixture.
- Do not over mix - otherwise, you will not have big pieces of crumb topping. Set aside.
Make the cherry crumb cake
- Butter and flour an 8 x 8 glass baking dish or cake pan. Make a sling with parchment paper, if desired, by placing two overlapping strips of parchment in the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate medium bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating egg before adding the second one, then beating to fully incorporate again.
- Mix the vanilla and sour cream in and beat to combine.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined. A few small pockets of flour are ok.
- Gently fold cherries into batter. Spoon batter into the baking dish and use an offset spatula if necessary to level the top.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the entire cake.
- Bake crumb cake for 50 - 65 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool on wire rack before slicing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 70mgSodium: 597mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 1gSugar: 35gProtein: 4g
Nutrition information calculated by a third-party company as a courtesy. It is intended as a guideline only.
Thanks for stopping by! Have a delicious day 🙂
Questions? Send me an email, I’m happy to help. I’d love to send you weekly tips and recipes, so you can get updates about what’s happening in the kitchen!
Hello! All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos or recipe without prior written permission. Thank you!