Well, the rain finally ceased only to bring unseasonably hot weather for a few days. Everyone looked like they were wilting, including the little pots of herbs I keep on the windowsill. Herbs are one of my favorite things to add to nearly anything.
mint lemonade with lemon thyme
Pin it to your drinks board!
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice (don't even think about using bottled)
- 3 cups water
- 8 sprigs lemon thyme
- handful of mint leaves
- lemon slices
- thyme sprigs & mint leaves for garnish
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar, 8 sprigs of lemon thyme and 1 cup of water in a small sauce pot and bring to a simmer.
- Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat & let cool completely. Strain & set aside.
- In a large pitcher, muddle the mint leaves with a few tablespoons of sugar,add the lemon juice, lemon thyme simple syrup (from above), water and a few slices of lemon.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves & a few sprigs of lemon thyme.
A word on the lemons... the lemons I had were the size of my fist. Literally. Three gave me a full cup of juice. If you were to see these lemons at the gym, one would assume they were "juice-heads" (pun fully intended)... that being said, you'll need about 5 lemons of normal stature.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 4gSugar: 29gProtein: 2g